LAUGHING TWI GIRL

I'm So Random, I follow myself...

Monday, May 17, 2010

MOVIE MONDAY


Welcome to my first installment of MOVIE MONDAYS!!! I am so excited to start this and hopefully my insanity will get me more followers! Hee Hee Hee Hee

So to kick this off, my first movie is one of my all time favorites! It is the 1992 Francis Ford Coppla's Bram Stoker's Dracula. (Pisst... you thought I was going to say Twilight? LOL)

Released in 1992, Coppla directed Gary Oldman (Dracula), Anthony Hopkins (Van Helsing), Keanu Reeves (Jonathan Harker), and Winona Ryder (Mina Murray) in the James Hart screenplay from the novel Bram Stoker's Dracula.

It's a story of undying love, wanting to live forever, and the sacrifice one must make in the eyes of their lover.

The actors and actress portray their characters beautifully. Hopkins is wonderful as Van Helsing and Reeves is a convincing Harker. Ryder's character is torn between her love for Harker and this burning desire to be with Dracula (Oldman). Oldman is amazing in this role. He plays Dracula with a sense of lost, hurt and longing for a partner to walk the rest of the earth with. His scenes with Ryder are beautiful and seductive.

I've seen this movie over a dozen times and it never gets old. I highly recommend it.

Now I will leave you with a few quotes, it's one of my favorites from the bedroom scene. The men have gone to destroy Dracula and have left Mina on her own in the doctor's personal quarters at the hospital, across from the Abbey. Its a very romantic scene, where the dialogue and score go hand in hand. It's also where, she makes the decision to join him in eternal love and basically ask for him to turn her as well.

Mina "I want to be what you are, see what you see, love what you love."
Dracula "I... I love you too much to condemn you."
Mina "Take me away from all this death."


Now, go rent and watch and let me know!

(picture from Amazon.com)

2 comments:

  1. Although Gary Oldman played the part of the Count very well, I never could see him as Dracula. I also would've cast someone other than Winona....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, Ryder didn't do anything for me either. But this was the first intro I had to Gary Oldman and fell in love with him! I'm an Oldman junkie! LOL

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete